Friday 22 July 2011

Pale Armistice, 1991

I first came across Rozanne Hawksley when visiting the Imperial War Museum in London earlier this year. Pale Armistice was part of the Women's Exhibition, which has become a permenant feature, and I was immedialtely taken by it. It's delicate beauty and craftmenship is a great contrast to the startling reality and consequences of war. The white gloves could represent the women and children who survive war, who mourn the dead, or, it could represent the civilians who perished in occupied countries. Hawksley provides a current slant on memorialization. I Will Fly South...For Mathew,1995-97, (the background image for my blog) is a personal piece about her friend who died of cancer. The bird represents Mathew's spirit (christian beliefs) which is about to be released from earth..."I know i'm going, it's okay, I shall fly south to the sun and the sea" (said by Mathew to Rozanne).

No comments:

Post a Comment